Alright folks, getting down to the wire on the portfolio pieces portion of the challenge. (Even if I have fallen slightly behind) This one was done for two fold reasons. The first being to have a concept styled drawing that is finished enough it could also be used as a spot illustration. The other was to design a prop for the sixth and final piece.
I need a ray gun for my last illustration, and thought spending the time to design it before I had to place it in the composition would allow for a more interesting prop. (At least that was the intention)
As far as this being a more concept oriented illustration, that’s certainly true, but it would be worth noting that since this is for a one off image I only designed the view that would be visible in the piece it is for. So while it works for its’ exact purpose for me. If this were for an ongoing project I would have designed multiple views of the gun, but in trade off probably wouldn’t have taken all of the views all the way to a finish.
Anyway less words more pictures. Again these are taken with a camera, real scans forthcoming, as I plan to do a wrap up post when all six pieces are completed.
This was the initial pass of inks on this one. At this point I took a picture and showed it off to a few sets of fresh eyes. It was pretty universal that the grip was at far too much of a right angle to the rest of the gun.
This shows off a couple things. I’d already started building up some of the whites in the piece when the feedback got back to me, so it not only shows how I changed the shape of the grip, but also gives a glimpse at how the whites are built up.
And this is what I ended up with after a handful of passes on it. At about 3/4 of the way through I tend to go back in with more black ink and try to push the shapes a little harder. On this one the biggest lesson I learned was that it is perfectly okay to razorblade inks on stained paper. Thankfully the water color paper is absorbent enough that the neutral tone is all the way through. This technique was used for modeling the grip to the gun if you’re interested in where I did this.
Done in black and white inks, and a bit of white colored pencil to the grip on coffee stained water colored paper.
So to recap 5 of six pieces complete. And Laser pistols are awesome.
Thanks for looking.
ETA: After sharing a link here to the 12 Week Challenge Clubhouse, I received yet more useful advice. One of my concerns was punched home to me that the main body of the gun blended too much with the paper. So I went back in and beefed up the darks and lights there. My intention is to still let the tone come through, but add enough to it for it to seem finished. Hopefully that point is coming across. If not let me know.